Thursday, September 2, 2010

Redefine


Dose the vision of yourself as an artist equal the work your doing? I’ve been thinking about this a lot as of late, as I progress (regress) more and more towards painting. I spend countless hours awake at night redefining my work, where I think I want it to go, what technique would better serve a particular problem, then the next day do something totally different. My current vision/dream is large abstracts but the photographer in me keeps screaming, and wants to do small representational work. I’ve got 7 series, going on 8 started all to want end? Partly I hope it will all incarnate into a unified whole somehow, a new “style”. I believe I better understand van Gogh’s frustrations, on many levels. Ah, ha maybe if I start thinking of myself as a strictly representational painter those abstracts will come forth! So, how dose your artistic vision translate itself on the canvas?

4 comments:

  1. I know I am all over the place... from somewhat realistic scratchboard drawings to more atmospheric watercolors to abstract, symbolic pattern drawings, found object sculpture, performance/storytelling... they all feel important to do, some calling attention now, others at another time. I do sometimes feel a little jealous of folks who seem to do one thing

    Is it the need for my work to be a commodity that makes me want to do things that are more related? Sometimes I think so...

    Happy doing whatever it is you will do next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your insight Valerianna, such good food for thought and I know how easy it is to get sucked into the trying to make what "sells"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I found this site! I have loved your work since 1995 when I purchased several boxes of exquisite cards, haunting images of Italy, at a shop in Boston's South End.
    Although I am not a visual artist -- I am a poet -- I grew up in a very visually oriented atmosphere and am an art collector. My father was a professional photographer and his sister, Esther Geller, is at 88 still painting exquisite encaustics herself, albeit on a smaller scale.
    Your work is so fresh and so moving -- do you ever exhibit in Boston?
    all the best,
    Mitchell Geller
    Watertown MA

    ReplyDelete