Thursday, September 16, 2010

Abstract Thinking

Abstract: I think I’m slowly getting what I like about this, the way of painting, the letting go of something already known. There was a tremendous space that happened when I was working on this piece, where nothing mattered, it didn’t need to turn into “something”. As a friend said “you have crossed over”. Maybe success is not being able to label it, a tittle seams irrelevant.


Next week: International Encaustic Artists Conference in SF. The event is a sell out, numerous lectures, studio tours, book signings. Our Key Note speaker is Christel Dillbohner, whose work I have followed and admired for years.

5 comments:

  1. Thea, I truly appreciate your work and words. It is about letting go and allowing the work to evolve. There is such a sense of achievement when the collaboration between artist and materials comes to a head as shown in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful piece, thank you for sharing this work.
    Sondra

    ReplyDelete
  3. a tremendous space where nothing mattered -- I think you've caught the essence of how one goes about "crossing over," as your colleague put it. It isn't easy moving from realism to abstraction, is it? Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not easy Kelly-and what drives us to to this way, some freedom from reality.....

    ReplyDelete