Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Calligraphy in the Sky

The birds of my native state-Nebraska called me home. I was on bird time for a week with the Sandhill cranes for the migration north. Six hundred thousand of them converge on the Platte river in March, feeding in the corn and soybean fields by day-roosting on the river at night. No words can begin to describe the sounds and blackened sky's of the Great Plains. I spent morning and night in bird blinds at The Nebraska Nature Center and Rowe Sanctuary, watching the spectacle of another species. Here is one image, past dark when the real show begins. I will post more soon, weeks of editing are needed first.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Thea,
    Facinating image and great title for the post. Very interesting, can't wait to see the others. Thank you for sharing.
    Best wishes,
    Sondra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanted to go to Nebraska for the crane migration forever! I am jealous, but eager to see your images.

    ReplyDelete